Friday, April 10, 2009

February - The Nature of Emotions

Unless you stay on the island the third week of July you are going to experience some rain, sometimes days at a time. By the second day we would always have cabin fever. This is one of the photos I took as I was out walking in the rain, the water has no where to go but down.

When you come across these streams, they are amazing, that little drops of rain could produce something this abundant. The element of water is likened to emotions, probably because they can run dry or they can burst the dam!

I thought the Water/Emotion was fitting for February since it is the month of love (Valentine's Day). I have no significant other in my life, so I gathered my single girl friends and we had a craft (carafe) night at my house. We got together and had a glass of wine, some fun finger food, and we crafted. By the end of the night nobody was lamenting their lack of romance, they did not have the energy after all the laughter.

So to make a long story short, that is why the quote "Art washes away the dust from your soul". I am not certain who penned this quote. I do know that at this point in my life my soul is dust free!

7 comments:

Marty S said...

A lovely piece that is enhanced by your description. The craft night sounds like lots of fun.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

KV said...

Ah, Brenda, this is wonderful stuff!


Kathy V in NM

Mary Timme said...

I love rushing mountain streams, but am smart enough to stay a distance from them. Lovely piece.

Robin said...

Your island and the one where I live seem to have much in common. We also have temporary streams that swell and flow in the spring during our heaviest rains and dry up completely during the summer months. Coincidentally, for my April piece, I'm also beading a little water fall, one that forms in one of those temporary streams along which I walk nearly every day. It is one of the greatest pleasures of my life to first hear, then see this luscious gift of nature. I love the way you did yours with the bugle beads... it's so true to the nature of falling water! I also love your sentiment and agree completely. If I'm ever single and not in a romance again, can I come to your Valentine's Day carafe night???? Beautiful work, Brenda! Robin A.

Julie said...

Brenda this is a lovely piece. You are coming along. I love the quote. I think this is why I like to do art when Im feeling blue. It helps me feel life and hope. Julie C

CC said...

What a great piece! And I love the meaning of it! Also, makes me want to get together for my "chicks in the sticks"!! ;)
Warmest aloha,
CC

Timaree said...

I love it. What a great way to get through Valentine's Day. I have a husband who is not romantic so you probably had a lot more fun than I did!